Tuesday, June 10, 2008

in japan


I finally made it.  I spent around 24 hours traveling.  Japan is very cool.  The top picture is from the Narita [airport] Express headed to Shinjuku [section of Tokyo].  The rice fields are around the airport.  The second pic is my street. I live in the building with the blue stuff under the stairs.  From these two pics you might think everything is calm an quiet, but that is not the case.  A few minute walk from my place, there are people everywhere going in every direction.  I just got back from a walk to familiarize myself with the surroundings.  It's 9 in the morning on a weekday and most businesses are closed.  There is just a steady stream of people navigating the twisting and turning unnamed streets.  There are no street names in Japan.  Only major streets have names.  Everyone was going to work and was rather silent about it.  Almost no one was talking.  I think it's a morning thing because yesterday afternoon it was nuts.  I'm still trying to find stores where I can buy the things I need.  It is very different here and very cool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Flippen Sweet!!!!
Take more pics!!!
I really love what I see so far.. can't wait to be there myself :-)))